When Everything Has a Place, It's Easier to Put Everything in it's Place
The kitchen is the one room of the home that all family members use every day – yet so often it is one of the most inefficient rooms in the house. Who wants to cook when you can’t find what you need? Life in the kitchen is much easier when you can find what you’re looking for and you know what food is in the cupboard or the pantry!
Here are a few tips that may help you create an enjoyable kitchen
Neatly stored items take up less space
Organize your kitchen so that the every day dishes, silverware and glasses are close to the sink and/or dishwasher
Coffee mugs…how many do you really need??? Think about those you use most often and how much space the rest consume
Square and rectangular containers take up less space than round
Go through cupboards and pantries once per year and toss what has not been used in a year
Don’t purchase products in bulk unless you have a place to store them
Small appliances you use often should be accessible – relocate appliances to hard to reach places that you do not use often
Put canned goods with canned goods and boxes with boxes, etc. Break each down by category, such as fruits, vegetables, soups, beans, pasta, snack foods, etc…
Install slide-out drawers in cupboards to easily access pots, pans, plastic containers, etc…
Can’t install slide out drawers? Use clear plastic boxes that can hold similar items, such as pasta, rice, snacks, baking goods – this way you can pull them all of the shelf at one time
With just a few hours of time and some products to help you organize – you’ll be well on your way to a kitchen that you can enjoy spending time in. It’s amazing the number of kitchen organizing products to help you control kitchen clutter – too many to mention all of them here.
Some of my favorite products are listed below
You may even find uses for these products in areas of your home – besides the kitchen!
1. Turntables – Found in a variety of sizes, materials and colors, turntables are one of the best ways to organize bottles, jars, cans, spices – or anything that you do not want to get shoved to the back of the cupboard. Use one 21" in diameter under your kitchen sink to keep all of the cleaning supplies on so you don’t have to crawl under your sink, or put one in that cabinet above the refrigerator to access those hard to reach items – without having to climb on a stool. They also work wonders in upper corner cabinets. Try putting two side by side if necessary and don’t worry about not being able to see the entire turntable – just give it a spin and you’ll see the rest!
Turntables also work well in large medicine cabinets or in laundry rooms for cleaning supplies.
2. Tea Bag Storage – Wouldn't it be great to be able to offer your guest a variety of tea without having to dig for all of the tea boxes? Just place some of each of your favorites into the container and impress your guests.
3. Microwave Plate Cover – Tired of cleaning your microwave after the lunch you are making exploded? Cover your leftovers with a plate cover. To ensure that all family member use it, store it in the microwave so that in order to cook, you must move the cover first!
4. 3-tier Expanding Shelf – Never sure if you have tomato soup on hand when you want a grilled cheese sandwich? Use an expanding, tiered shelf to solve the mystery. It’s like having a set of bleachers for your canned goods and spices.
5. Drawer Doubler – Maximize the space in your drawers with a drawer doubler. It’s adjustable to fit the width of your drawer and has individual compartments. It’s perfect for use in a kitchen junk drawer – who said your junk drawer needed to look junky? It also works well in the drawer that contains all of your kitchen utensils.
6. Grocery Bag Holder – Not only useful in the kitchen, but also a must for the laundry room if you use grocery bags to clean out the litter box! They also are useful in the bathroom under the sink. Mount on insides of doors, pantries or on the wall – or purchase the one that sits on a flat surface.
Tip: Resist the urge to keep every bag – there will always be more!
7. Packet Storage – Excellent for quickly being able to put your hands on sauce, soup or drink mixes! They come in a variety of sizes and can either sit on a shelf, or some can be affixed to the door of a cupboard or wall in the pantry.
8. Cover Holder – Do the plastic lids from your storage containers drive you nuts because you’re never sure what to do with them? Install a door mounted plastic cover holder and never wonder again where the lid is to your container. If this product won’t solve your problem – simply use one of the larger plastic containers to store the lids in.
Last but not least, be sure to take an honest look at what you are currently storing in your kitchen. Ask yourself; ‘when was the last time I used this?’ "Will I ever use it again?" If the answer is "I can’t remember" or "No" then it may be time to let it go and make room for what you use everyday.
Note: All products shown here are available at Organize.
Barry is also the Immediate Past President of NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers). Barry and I are teaming up to help you eliminate the clutter and chaos in your garage...in no time. We know that organizing your garage can seem overwhelming. Many just don't know where to start. By attending this seminar you will receive ideas to help kick-start your garage organizing project - before the days of summer and the great weather is past. Dont' be caught out in the cold organizing your garage this year...get started now!
When you register for the teleseminar, you will have the opportunity to submit your questions before the teleseminar. Barry and I will attempt to answer as many questions as possible during the hour long seminar. We won't be able to answer them all, so be one of the first to submit your question so it gets answered.
If you are not able to attend the seminar during this time - don't worry, we will make the seminar available to all that signed up for the seminar so even if you can't attend you can download it and listen to it on your MP3 player or PC.
To purchase a copy of Barry's book "Organize Your Garage...In No Time" click here.
To purchase a copy of Laura's book "Eliminate Chaos...The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home & Life" click here. (Includes information on organizing your garage.)
Planning an upcoming move? Eliminate Chaos Specialist are available to work with you Pre-Move, Day-of-Move and Post-Move to ensure a smooth transition into your new home or office. Whether you're moving locally, out of state, or into the state - we can assist you with part or all of your move. Because we have a large team of Specialists that are employees of Eliminate Chaos, you can be sure that your treasures will be well taken care of.
To give you an idea of how we can help eliminate the headaches associated with moving you will find a partial list of services we can help with. For additional information, please contact our office at 425.670.2551 or 877.342.8592.
Project Planning and Scheduling
Downsizing & Decluttering so you don't pay to move what you no longer need
Vendor Coordination with our Preferred List of Providers; such as: Closet Companies, Garage Products, House Cleaners, Carpet Cleaners, Window Washers, Yard Services, Handyman, Lock Smith, Art Installation, Painter, Trash Removers and more!
Space Planning in New Home - before your things arrive
Work with Movers to ensure proper placement of furniture and boxes according to plan
Hands-on Organizing of your belongings into their new homes
Hands-on Organizing of your belongings into their new homes
Continued Vendor Coordination
Families merging homes
Dual Career Families
Companies that relocate employees
Anyone wanting to ensure boxes are unpacked and items find homes immediately
Individuals that need to temporarily relocate for a remodel
Individuals that are looking to downsize, move to adult communities, assisted living or elder care
Children of parents that don't have time to do the work with their parents
Coming Soon: Microsoft Outlook Webinars for Versions 2003 & 2007
We are currently working on setting up the technology to deliver Webinars on Microsoft Outlook and will be announcing dates in the near future. We realize that many subscribers to our newsletter are not located in the Greater Seattle area, but want to take advantage of this training from your Home Office or Office.
In the mean time, if your company is looking for Outlook Training that will help increase productivity in the office, please contact me directly at to see how I can customize a program for your organization for an individual.
Not sure what to give that loved one? Don't want to give them any more "stuff" they may not need or want? Gift Certificates make a great gift - enable those you love to take control of their time, their space and their stuff. Contact our office for pricing. 425.670.2551
"I worked with Erin, one of the specialists who works with the Chronically Disorganized (hoarders). In a word, she was fantastic. In four 4-hour sessions, she helped me go through and box up (keep, donate, trash) almost everything that was stacked up in my kitchen, dining room, office, and bonus room. Erin arrived promptly. We went over what I wanted to accomplish that day, then we got to work. She was focused, calm, non-judgmental, and tireless. She faced very dirty circumstances and didn't bat an eyelash. She never once caused me a moment of anxiety; the relief that I felt when we were done was amazing. And Laura Leist, who is the owner of Eliminate Chaos, was lovely. She returned my calls promptly, was kind and understanding, and offered me some options. I would hire this company again in a heartbeat. But right now I'm too busy enjoying all the free space in my house!"
A great way to try us out and get some organizing done at the same time! For a limited time, we are offering an amazing NEW client organizing special. If you are not an existing client this is a great way for us show you how we can eliminate your chaos.